Greek language courses
Teaching of Modern Greek language as a foreign language at the University of Aegean
Since 2004 the University of the Aegean attaches great importance to the teaching of Modern Greek as a foreign language.
Without fees courses of Modern Greek Language
tuition are offered to:
- Foreign Students taking part in European Educational Programs (e.g., Erasmus), international programs and programs for educational exchange
- Foreign post graduate or doctoral students as well as students
of Greek origin who study in the University of Aegean.
- Foreign post graduate or doctoral students with scholarships granted by the Greek State or other institutions and bodies
- Foreign doctoral students or professors, who participate in scientific programs at the University of the Aegean and collaborate with professors of the Faculties of Social Sciences and Environment of the University of the Aegean.
Greek language courses for students others than students of the University of the Aegean – foreign nationals (adults) or foreign citizens of Greek descent who wish to learn Greek or improve their knowledge of Greek upon payment of tuition fees.
These courses target:
- Foreign nationals living in Greece
- Foreign nationals wishing to come to Greece and Mytilene in order to learn (or improve their level of) Greek
- Foreign nationals wishing to sit the examination for the Certificate of Attainment in Greek
Foreign nationals wishing to attend Greek classes will be requested to pay a symbolic tuition fee (1 euro per hour for a total of 80 hours per University term – "Semester")
In order to be admitted to Greek classes, foreign nationals must comply with the following requirements:
- they must hold at least a secondary school leaving qualification;
- they must fulfil the conditions for a legal stay in Greece for the whole duration of the courses (residence permit or visa), unless they are citizens of a Member State of the European Union, they are married to a Greek citizen or they have Greek nationality;
- they must submit a brief curriculum vitae
Applicants will either join an existing group, on the condition that they have the same level of language skills and the total number of students in the group does not exceed 15 people, or a new course will be set up for them if there are at least 7 applicants having the same language level.
NB: Accommodation is not provided to students attending the above classes.
Students will have to pass an oral and written test in Modern Greek in order to determine their placement in the appropriate level. Depending on the students' abilities level, the following courses will be offered
- Beginners level (AI AII)
- Intermediate level: (BI BII)
- Advanced level: (CI CII)
Winter semester 03.10.2016 – 27.01.2017 Spring semester
20.02.2017 – 02.06.2017
Each semester includes 13 teaching weeks.
Εxamination centre for the certificate of attainment in greek
(Mytilene & Rhodes)
The University of the Aegean has been established as
Exam Centre by the Centre for the Greek Language (hereafter CGL) of the
Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs
The Certificate of Attainment in Greek, which was
established in November 1998, constitutes the official State certificate of
proficiency in Greek at different levels. It gives the holder of the
certificate the possibility of proving his or her knowledge of Greek on the
job market, to participate in public competitions (ASEP) and enrol in Greek
higher education institutions.
The University of the Aegean, as recognized exam
centre, gives the possibility of taking part in the exams to candidates
living in Lesbos or other North-eastern
Aegean islands. Furthermore, as of 2016, residents of South-eastern Aegean
islands have the opportunity to take the exams in Rhodes.
The courses on offer (possibly supplemented with some
additional classes) give students an adequate training complying with the
analytical program of the CGL for the Certificate of Attainment in Greek.
Contact – Information
|Mytilene exam centre||Rhodes exam centre|
Teaching of Greek as a foreign language
School of Social Sciences
University of the Aegean
81100 Mytilene (Greece)
Tel.: +30 22510 36005
Marianthi Oikonomakou |
Assistant Professor of Department of Primary Education
Department of Mediterranean Studies
School of Humanities
University of the Aegean
85132 Rhodes (Greece)
Tel.: +30 2241099300, 6974 066 641